Apparently I'm not the first person to think that this is a logical combination

Tuesday 5 July 2011

Internet at last!

I have finally found a place to use the internet!  Since I left Stockholm on June 21, my access has been very limited.  Now I am at the library in Oskarshamn, using their free computers.  That's the good news.  The bad news is that I can't seem to upload pictures.  Everything is very slow. 

Ok, lets see...  Well my last few days in Stockholm I spent checking out various museums (Vasa, Skansen, Nordiska, Historika, Nobel, Modern Art...), going on a bike tour and canal tour of the city, and taking a little trip up to Täby Kyrkby to see the wall painting in Täby Church of a knight playing chess with death.  One highlight was going up to 'Filmstaden' (Film Town), where many Swedish movies were filmed, up until the 80s I believe.  The funny thing was that I was the first person ever to use their English audio guide.  I felt special!

Then I took a ferry from downtown Stockholm (it's amazing you can do this right from downtown) to an island in the Stockholm archipelago called Fjärdlång.  It's a beautiful place.  Very remote and not many people there.  I went on lots of great hikes, and even got to dance around the Maypole on Midsummer's Eve!  Luckily, I have no pictures of my dancing.

From there, I made my way (via Nynäshamn and Visby) up to Fårö, an island just north of Gotland island in the Baltic Sea.  I rented a bike and spent a week just exploring.  It's a very cool island.  Very rugged, lots of rocks (but then also beautiful, Grand Bend-nice beaches), knarled trees, thatched-roof barns, windmills and sheep just roaming around.  The weather cooperated too.  I also went to various events at the Ingmar Bergman Week festival that was going on.  I got to see a few movies I've never seen before, which made me very happy!

It's taken me almost an hour to upload this randomly selected, and kind of washed out picture.  It's of an uprooted tree on the island of Fjärdlång.  Unfortunately, I don't think I have time to try to upload anything else.  At least this is better than nothing!

No comments:

Post a Comment