Apparently I'm not the first person to think that this is a logical combination

Sunday 14 August 2011

Västerås

I have free internet access at the hostel in Västerås, but unfortunately I can't seem to upload pictures.  Luckily I uploaded a few before I left Borlänge but haven't had a chance to post them yet.  So these are few older pictures from Lund, Göteborg and Borlänge.  I'll try to get some up from the rest of Dalarna, Uppsala and Västerås when I get to Stockholm (I head there tomrorow).

Astronomical clock inside Lund's cathedral.  It plays twice a day, and when it does, some knights on horses on the top of the clock fight with swords, and then the three wise men and their servants pass by Mary and Jesus in the center.  All to music.

Just in case you want to make a donation to Lund's cathedral but don't have cash on you, now you can donate by debit and credit card.

Lund's Cathedral - it dates to around the 12th century.  I got to heard an organ concert there, which was pretty cool.

Fresh smoked fish from Donsö, in Göteborg's archipelago.  Donsö is one of the few islands in that archipelago that still has a fishery.  The smoked fish was so good! 

More Donsö

A storm brewing in Göteborg's archipelago.

Torsång church and it's bell tower.  The bell tower had just been freshly tarred.  This is the oldest church in the region of Dalarna (probably built in the 13th century), and incidentally was also featured in the Ingmar Bergman film Winter Light.

Typical houses in Dalarna, painted in the colour "falun red".  The paint was a by-product of the old copper mines in Falun, so that's why traditionally there were so many houses painted this colour in the region.  The mines are shut down now, but it's still a popular colour today, and not just in Dalarna.

Birch trees in a forest near Torsång.

View of Lake Ösjön, near Torsång.

I haven't seen any wild strawberries yet, but wild raspberries are everywhere!  It takes a special kind of will-power to pass by raspberry bushes and not try to eat as many berries as possible.  A will-power I'm afraid to say I don't have.

View overlooking the city of Borlänge, although it's kind of hard to tell there's actually a city down there.

2 comments:

  1. I look forward to the pictures of V. Will bring back many memories.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everywhere I went, I kept wondering if you guys had been there! I will try to get some pictures uploaded soon. Just have to find a computer in Stockholm that allows me to connect with USB and isn't too slow...

    ReplyDelete